Sunday, April 27, 2008

Doubts

I have to admit that I get huge waves of doubt every so often.... Most recently seeing the brochures for the local French-Immersion School's kindergarten in the library, and seeing the (same) school's big sign on the road that they are accepting registrations (which means they aren't full....) for the fall. If I wasn't homeschooling, I'd want them to be in immersion (and as French is what is available.... it would be French....) - so it gives me waves of doubt. I had the same waves of doubt when Bravo registered Zulu (my grandson) for French Immersion Kindergarten.... and even just when the even closer school had the signs up for registration in (English) Kindergarten.

Yet I'm sure that homeschooling is right for our family. I know that Mike will teach them German, so the 2nd language will happen (maybe not fluently like in an immersion....) I know my son will be happier at home, and they are both doing well at home. It is just hard to be sure.

But, it is hard to find support in some ways. Fortunately, my husband fully supports this - I know some people have to do it without spousal support. My mom is against it, the older kids think we are nuts, Mike's siblings are against it (haven't mentioned it to my siblings, I don't think.) My dad is good with it, I believe. So when doubts happen, there aren't many people to talk to about it.

No comments: