Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tears - all mine!

Delta has been having some up and down weeks. Last week, his class went great. Since then though, he has been refusing practices except for a couple of favorite activities. He had managed to hold his box-violin for the whole Twinkle song (but it was hard work!) But now he will hardly touch it!

But that wasn't the big tears! The big problem was during group class. I had Echo with me as well - which is hard enough.... but Delta wasn't doing anything he was supposed to! He was crawling under my chair, giving me hugs, or just generally refusing. And so between the 2 of them, I was so frustrated, embarassed, etc.... that I just started crying! Later a few of the mom's checked on me.... and the next day the group teacher called. We have a plan of attack for the next week. It has just been frustrating.

The group teacher is great though - even with Delta in that mood - she did get him to do a couple of things... One of the things that she did was teach them the dynamic symbols (pp - pianisimo p - piano f - forte ff - fortisimo) I never would have thought that you could teach kids that young the concept, but they got it right away.

Anyway, I have called Miss A - so she has a couple of ideas to try for this week.

I just wish it wasn't such a roller coaster at this stage!

2 comments:

Steph said...

It is a roller coaster all the time, as far as I can tell.

My daughter is 7 - started when she was 5.

Every new song is a new adventure. But she is learning so much about herself while she learns the violin. It has been really great for us - even though we have weekly tears!

Suzuki Mom said...

Again, sorry I didn't see this until now!

It has definately been a roller coaster, with a lot of downs. Fortunately, we are on a big up right now - and it is certainly well worth it!